[logs] Monitoring Windows Security Events

From: Brian Anon (brian_anon@private)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 06:01:51 PDT

    I would appreciate hearing how others monitor events in their Windows
    security event logs in a large distributed network.

    Specifically, I've got six Windows domains (totaling about 1500 servers and
    6-8 domain controllers in each domain).  I need to begin monitoring security
    events on these domain controllers.

    Considering that each domain controller generates about 100+ MB a day in he
    security event log, it's not really practical having someone manually review
    this on a weekly basis.

    Any suggestions about what events to be looking for and acting on?

    I'm now thinking that an automated host-based IDS may be the best option to
    monitor events in realtime.  Any recommendations?

    Should we only be considering centralizing these events first so that they
    can be correlated?  Any suggestions?

    Brian