[logs] Statistical or probabilistic log mining

From: John Reuning (john@private)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 08:33:12 PST

    I'm researching log analysis methods that deviate from the standard
    pattern matching techniques.  Specifically, I'm looking for research
    papers or log analysis tools on machine learning, statistical, and
    probabilistic approaches.  Messages on this list have touched on these
    topics in the past year or two, but there were few concrete references.
    Examples that come to mind are a network traffic baselines paper, a SANS
    certification practical, and the product Pig Sentry.

    Do you know of academic papers, whitepapers, open source software, or
    commercial products that employ the methods mentioned above to analyze
    logs.  Any leads will be appreciated, and I'll certainly share the
    compiled reference list and eventually my research with the list.

    Many thanks,

    -John Reuning
    ibiblio.org