RE: [logs] Commercial Tool for in-depth IIS Logging

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhards@private)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 08:04:13 PST

    > > > We have created a tool that is directly integrated into IIS (ISAPI
    > > > filter). It emits log data via syslog when IIS reaches
    > certain points of
    > > > its internal processing (e.g. begin and end of http request).
    > >
    > > Why do you output to syslog? Such a debugging application typically
    > > outputs to a logfile - no?
    > >
    > the IIS "logging improver" isn't primarily designed for
    > debugging.  it's
    > designed for intrusion detection and system monitoring.  the
    > situation we
    > specifically had in mind is the one in which an IIS attack
    > (for instance,
    > the printer ISAPI buffer overflow used by code red) is
    > launched through a
    > web connection.  the IIS server starts the connection and then gets
    > hacked, and never makes it to the point in its workflow at
    > which it writes
    > its log into the access log file.

    Looks like I tried to hard to avoid sales pitch ;-) ... got most of the
    actual uses cases out of the description... Thanks, Tina, for providing
    it.

    > if rainer's done what i assume he's done (ie. what we talked
    > about last
    > year) (where the hell did that year go?), this application enables the
    > ability to write a logfile entry at various points of the IIS
    > workflow to
    > improve an administrator's ability to monitor the server at critical
    > points.

    Yes, this is exactly what it does. In a very corase overview, IIS works
    as follows (for each http request):

    1. decode request
    2. call script processor (asp, .net, perl, php.. you name it)
    3. send reply
    4. log to w3log

    please note that logging comes last - if there is a worm like CodeRed,
    that stage will never be reached. Instead, IIS will loop somewhere in 2.
    So you do not at all see these requests in w3logs. IISLogger can emit a
    begin http transaction before 1. and an end http transaction after 4
    (and also log at several other points).

    IMPORTANT: The workflow outlined above is a rough sketch. The real thing
    can be found in the paper (link below).

    > of course, this would be very useful for a programmer too, but alas
    > programmers have never been my main audience.  me and my ol' sys admin
    > bias...
    >
    > Rainer, did that article we were working on ever get posted anywhere?

    Actually, we decided to split them (if you remember the dark ages of the
    beginning of this year):

    http://www.monitorware.com/Common/en/SecurityReference/Monitoring-IIS-Lo
    gs.pdf
    is the fully edited, fully correct version - but mostly without the
    workflow.

    http://www.monitorware.com/Common/en/Articles/IIS-Workflow.asp
    Is the paper on IIS Workflow. It is NOT fully edited (I guess Tina and I
    both have it on the todo list...). Also, it is not 100% correct. But all
    the key facts are fine, so it is good to understand the whole thing. IIS
    6 changed quite some things, but the basic picture remains.

    Rainer