Re: [logs] PIX log lines

From: Daniele Muscetta (daniele@private)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 02:17:15 PST

    Jhumri Tilayia said:
    > I am trying to write rules to alert me when my PIX firewall detects
    > portscans, brute-force attempts on firewall logins, spoofing attempts
    > and  other attacks that the firewall picks up. Does PIX 6.x release
    > create  discernable log entries when above mentioned probes are
    > detected by it ? If  so, and if someone has samples, I would much
    > appreciate it if they could  share them with me.

    You may find an extensive documentation of PIX logging at cisco site,
    precisely here:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_system_message_guides_list.html
    EVERY possible message I've ever run into was documented here.

    I might even be able to provide you some example logs (sanitized) when I
    am back to my office. Actually I just checked on loganalysis.org website,
    and PIX is not present among the sample logs. Tina, is that log samples
    section still mantained ? If it is something of interest, I can collect
    some samples (and maybe clean them of my "production" addresses first)
    next week.
    Best Regards,

    Daniele Muscetta