RE: [logs] Log Samples Requested

From: Safier, Adam * (Safier@private)
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 07:20:15 PST

    I will display my ignorance again by asking "What makes Syslog unique and
    different from other text based log files?"

    I understand it is the traditional system log file for UNIX systems.  I
    "assume" that when anything writes to Syslog a date and time stamp is
    automatically inserted.  I also "assume" that you are writing to a process
    and not simply appending to a text file.  However, it seems that almost any
    text can be written to Syslog by any application.  Are there formatting
    rules?

    Sorry for being lazy at this time and asking instead of researching.
    Hopefully next month I will get on a task capturing Oracle logs and putting
    them through some sort of analyzer for key security events.  Alas, all
    systems are Windows so no native Syslog.

    Adam