Re: [logs] most popular reports...?

From: John Kristoff (jtk@private)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 13:15:58 PDT

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:27:32 -0400
"Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@private> wrote:

> 	I'm trying to build a list of the "most popular reports" that
> people pull from their system logs. This is mostly for my curiousity,

Some 'most popular' reports I've found useful include:

  - top DNS RR queries.  In addition to see what your most popular
    queries are, if logging recursive queries, you often find 'bot'
    when you see suspicious looking host names trickle up to the top.
    this is often because the name has been closed and client resolvers
    are too dumb not to keep asking for it continuously.

  - log message count per hour (or whatever time interval).   for
    many systems logs across a 24-hour period are very smooth, spikes
    in any interval period indicates an anomaly.

  - top 'unknown/uncategorized' messages.  in a couple of the top N
    summarization tools I've written, I also create a 'top N' unknown
    or uncategorized section.  Ideally N should be greater than the
    total number of unknown/uncategorized types so you can spot strange
    messages and investigate.

Jose made an excellent point about trending by the way.  It's a little
bit more work to put that in some simple log parsing tools, which is
why a lot of people might not do it.  A lot of people get trending from
their network via MRTG and flow data so it's not as if people don't do
trending, they just tend not to do it with logs yet.

John