RE: [logs] Visual Event Analysis WAS: most popular reports...?

From: Rob Jenkins (rob.jenkins@private)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 09:23:33 PDT

Hi All

I must confess to lurking for a while on this thread, it is a fascinating
subject which has rightly generated a lively discussion.

I come with the perspective of a developer of general data analysis tools
and in fact many of the principles of this discussion whilst it's network
log analysis specific does actually hold true for any type of data analysis.
After all data mining is often defined as 'finding patterns and anomalies in
data' which is precisely what we're talking about here.

I would add my support for the value of visualisation in the data analysis
and data mining process. I recently presented on this at the SGI User Group,
the slides are at ftp://ftp.purpleinsight.com/slides/ username:
purpleinsight password: purple if anyone is interested.

To analyze data of any size one typically goes through several common stages
for example: understanding, filtering, transforming, modeling the data,
presenting findings etc. Visualisation can be valuable at every stage of
that process. One thing that is also generally true and applies in the
specific case of log analysis is that for best results one needs to combine
data analysis tool/process expertise with domain expertise. For example I
can successfully process log data and pull useful insight from it but I'm no
network security expert, adding that expertise really produces exciting
results.

Much of the discussion to date has been about analysis (visual or otherwise)
of the 'raw'data i.e. without adding anything to data. There has been some
talk of statistical processing but there is scope for further processing for
example 'clustering' of events to aid in anomaly detection or modeling of
data to determine which attributes in the data are most significant in
determining another attribute.

As data/traffic keeps on growing we're all going to have to find new ways to
get our hands round it all, visualisation is bound to be an important part
of that.

Cheers
Rob

Rob Jenkins