[logs] Re: hosts to central logging servers efficiency: syslog orsyslog-ng

From: Ernst Mellink (e.j.mellink@more-secure.nl)
Date: Thu May 25 2006 - 02:25:52 PDT

Hi Scott

Here are my insights into this matter:

1) there quite some network and security devices which have a build-in
syslog feature and there is no way of actually moving those them over to
-ng.
The best yopu can do put preasure on the vendor to add -ng support.
So a simple solution would be to build a kind of a syslogd to syslog-ng
bridge node
This d-ng bridge can do whatever you want it to do:
> serve multiple destinations either on -d or -ng
> filter-out certain severities (eg debug messages)
> rewrite the logformat (however unadvisable)
> add timestamps to it (if wanted / needed)
etc

2) in widely scattered networks such a bridge can act like a concentrator.
There are lots of local connections to the concentrator using either -d or
-ng
All possible firewall-problems can be solved locally (nice)
While the way up into the central server can be a thightly screened and
secured
(why not add ssl-tunneling or do syslog-tls) tcp connections which can be
described by the security enigineers and entered into the firewall/ips.
Ans yes this tcp-connection can be beefed up to dimensions like 100Mbps or
whatever is needed without ever losing a single message.
The suggested term could be area-concentrator

Such a construction solves
A) protocol-translation (udp to tcp)
B) large firewall-rulessets
C) concentrates security
D) forgo replacing syslogd services if at ever possible

My 2 cents

Ir. Ernst J. Mellink
IT Security Architect