Re: [owl-users] Some kernel compilation errors

From: Solar Designer <solar_at_private>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 15:09:03 +0300
Hi Leonardo,

Thank you for reporting this in here.  I wish everyone did report on
both their problems and their successes with Owl in here as well.

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 11:59:37PM -0300, Leonardo Lazzaro wrote:
> I was finishing my configuration. The default kernel dont support ethernet
> bridge 802.1d as I checked the kernel configuration at /boot.

What specific option(s) did you want enabled (and ended up enabling in
your custom build)?  We may consider enabling them by default in the
next official build.

> So I decided to download the Openwall
> Kernel <ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/openwall/Owl/3.0-release/sources/Owl-3_0-stable/packages/kernel/> and
> recompile it (with the patch).

You needed to apply two patches: the OpenVZ patch found in the FTP
directory above and the Owl patch found in our native tree, e.g. here:

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/kernel/

BTW, all of these files (the kernel tarball and two patches) are also
found under /usr/src/world on Owl CDs, so you did not really have to
download anything extra.  I understand that it's sometimes quicker to
download than to loopback-mount an ISO, though.

> The new kernel configuration is based upon the /boot configuration file of
> openwall.

That's right.  The same file is also available in our native tree (as
dot-config-i686 or dot-config-x86_64).

> Googling around I found that solar fix some compilation errors and they were
> very similar errors I got.
>
> the error was this : simfs.c : undefined reference to 'export_op_default'
>  and more errors (cant copy the terminal!)

I don't recall ever seeing this error.

> I enable NFS server and solved the problem.

You did not actually need the NFS server, but had to compile it in to
fix the compilation error, correct?

> Also I had some errors with ioat.c , I enable and then disable DMA engine
> support

linux-2.6.18-194.26.1.el5.028stab079.1-owl.diff includes some fixes that
may be relevant.

Thanks again,

Alexander