Re: [PEN-TEST] MAC to IP address

From: Anders Thulin (Anders.X.Thulinat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 06:18:09 PDT

    Tomi Tuominen wrote:

    > Does anybody know whether there exists a tool for
    >
    > a) 'pinging' using MAC address instead of ip?
    >    (i.e. host replies to ARP packets)

      Any particular protocol?

      The IEEE 802.2 LLC Type 1 service has some commands (TEST and perhaps
    also XID, my memory is shaky here) that can be used for ping-like
    mapping.

      Of course, this won't work on Ethernet nodes or non-IEEE networks.
    And as this functionality isn't required to get IP to work, it's
    not always implemented.

      I don't know of any available tools to use this, I'm afraid.
    If anyone thinks of implementing one, include a Wake-on-LAN packet
    sender ...

    --
    Anders Thulin     Anders.X.Thulinat_private     040-661 50 63
    Telia ProSoft AB, Carlsgatan 6, SE-201 20 Malmö, Sweden