RE: [PEN-TEST] Detecting the presence of a firewall

From: MadHat (madhatat_private)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 12:41:09 PDT

    At 11:41 AM 5/14/2001 -0400, Ansar Mohammed wrote:
    >Yes there is a way.
    >
    >A while ago blackhat released an exploit for checkpoint fw-1.
    >
    >A side effect of the exploit, regardless of wether it works or not is
    >that it displays all ip interfaces of the firewall. However, the
    >firewall rules must allow you to access the management ports.
    >

    >The exploit runs on Linux or OpenBSD. You can find it at
    >www.blackhat.com

    BlackHat.com is for the BlackHat Briefings put on by DT, I mean Jeff Moss.

    anyway the talk can be found here (powerPoint, SureStream audio and Video)
    http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-usa-00/bh-usa-00-speakers.html#John McDonald
    (sorry for the bad URL, they have a space in it)
    But BlackHat did not release an exploit.

    Details by the team that presented it can be found at
    http://www.dataprotect.com/bh2000/
    along with powerpoint slides and the source for their exploit.