Re: Access a remote registry

From: H Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 09:39:26 PDT

    > I'm checking the security of a Windows NT
    server. I have first used Retina
    > to get a general overview of the server, and
    it has discovered that the
    > Guest user has access to the registry.

    This post brings up another issue...validation.
    Retina reports that the Guest account is
    allowed access to the Registry remotely...but
    how is this validated.

    ISS's Internet Scanner used (v5.8,v6.0) used to
    report that the AutoAdminLogon functionality
    existed if the value was set to '0', which
    according to Microsoft is incorrect.
    Rebooting the system proved this.

    The point is...if a commercial tool reports a
    vulnerability, and it's not able to be
    replicated, then whom do you believe?