Re: Discovering hosts behind NAT

From: Alex Butcher (alexat_private)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 03:51:15 PDT

    Franklin DeMatto wrote:
    > How can hosts which are using RFC 1918 non-routed ip's be discovered and
    > contacted?

    Unless you have control of all intermediate routing devices (i.e. ISP
    routers etc.) then the simple answer is "they can't".

    However...

    > Scenario:
    >
    > A DNS Zone transfer, as well as usenet searches, indicate usage of RFC 1918
    > addresses for a certain domain name (let's call it internal.company.com).
    >
    > Traceroute shows that all known hosts in company.com's net block go directly
    > from the isp's router to the host (ie w/o any intermediate gateways or
    > firewalls).
    >
    > The basic function and OS of each host in the net block is known.  It does
    > not appear that there are any "secret" hosts, as when any address in the
    > subnet that is not accounted for is pinged, the ISP's router responds with
    > ICMP Host Unreachable.
    >
    > There are two known network devices: a cisco, which seems totally silent,
    > and a wellfleet router.
    >
    > One would conlude that one of these is being used for NAT for
    > internal.company.com - but where do I go from here.

    ...using this information, strategies I would suggest would include:

    - compromising the cisco or the wellfleet and, if they provide common
    utilities (telnet, tftp, ftp etc) using them as a springboard into the
    RFC1918-addressed portion of the target's network. Of course, if they
    aren't answering to internet-sourced connection requests you're out of
    luck. If you knew that they accepted telnet connections from, say,
    192.168.1.1 then you could try a blind spoofing attack on telnet...

    - compromising a non-RFC1918-addressed host on the target's network and
    exploring to see if routing is configured to allow /this/ to be a
    springboard. I would currently suggest a UNIX box or a Win2K/IIS5
    SP0/SP1 host (vulnerable  to the ISAPI .printer exploit) as being
    valuable target hosts.

    > (In general, how would I find more about the function of these devices?)

    It sounds as though you've done as much as you can so far (by your
    "footprinting" work); if properly configured, it should be hard to
    determine what addressing scheme is in use internally; you've already
    done that. :)

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Franklin DeMatto

    Best Regards,
    Alex.
    --
    Alex Butcher                                      PGP/GnuPG Key IDs:
    Consultant, S3 Systems Security Services          alex@s3       B7709088