Re: Penetration test report - your comments please?

From: R. DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 11:03:55 PDT

    One BIG hole I note, late here I know, brain can kick in funny after a
    long weekend as we age...

    But, where is the evaluation of the security policies and the
    hosting/AUP/etc agreements and such?  Without documentation a company has
    no policy to enforce.  A lack of such documentation would be a gaping hole
    in policy and management of the infrastructure.  I think this would be the
    focus of my assessment, as all the probes and how they are logged and
    dealt with are dependant upon such documentation and proceedureal
    managment.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    <I've experianced 'pen tests' under mil proceedures whence even if outside
    probes did not show glaring holes, even if documentation met with current
    standards and agreements, that access to a user account on an internal
    machine had to be granted to demonstrate systems security within
    the infrastructure.  I think this perhaps, at least for me, reminds me
    that documentation and agreements between the person<s>/company doing the
    security assement and the client, should be looked at by a legal beagle
    so as to define such issues as the proceedures and definitions of what
    kind of testing is preformed, liability should say a system get hosed in
    the process of a scan or overflow exploit, as well as how much either side
    is able to, and the conditions of diseminating or disclosing the findings
    to others?>

    --
            admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                    -- Johnny Hart

    testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!