Re: How secure are dongles for copy-protection?

From: Victor A. Rodriguez (victor@bit-man.com.ar)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 20:19:59 PDT

    Hi Harold and all,

    The following message was sent by "Harold Thimm" <haroldthimmat_private>
    on Mon, 04 Jun 2001 19:43:35 -0000:

    > I'm looking for any information on incorporating dongles into a
    > software package for copy protection. In particular, I'm looking for
    > information on the Rainbow Technologies Sentinel, but advice on
    > dongle-based copy protection in general is appreciated.

    OK, you asked for it ... if you take a look at "The futility of digital
    copy prevention" (http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0105.html#3)
    you'll have a look at it.

    > How easy/difficult is it to break this kind of copy-protection?
    > Are there any known weaknesses in the dongle-type systems themselves
    > (as opposed to implementation weaknesses?)

    One thing that can be done is look at the dongle as a black box, monitor
    the answers to the stimuli, and build a software piece that can trap
    these stmuli and perform like the dongle (just a thought).

    BTW, have you made a search in http://www.phrack.com or any other
    search engine ?? Perhaps using "dongle" or "copy protection" you'll have
    some good look.

    Cheers
    --
    Victor A. Rodriguez (http://www.bit-man.com.ar)