Re: How secure are dongles for copy-protection?

From: shampsterat_private
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 23:02:56 PDT

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Harold Thimm wrote:

    > I'm looking for any information on incorporating dongles into a software
    > package for copy protection. In particular, I'm looking for information
    > on the Rainbow Technologies Sentinel, but advice on dongle-based copy
    > protection in general is appreciated.
    >
    > How easy/difficult is it to break this kind of copy-protection? Are there
    > any known weaknesses in the dongle-type systems themselves (as opposed to
    > implementation weaknesses?)

    Dongle protected applications are (at least were) always fairly easy
    targets.  One can typically just set breakpoints on
    serial/parallel IO events and follow the code back to the
    application/dongle API level.  At that point it doesn't matter that your
    protection scheme has a 'hardware' element to it.

    If you are planning on just using a 'IsDongleHere()' -- you typically
    only need to change one byte to turn a conditional jump into an
    unconditional one to break the protection.  More complex schemes, that
    store data on the key itself -- only raise the bar slightly, since it's
    usually pretty easy to see what needs to be force-fed back to the
    application to make it happy.  Reading the time off the dongle (for
    time-limited protection schemes) are equally hackable due to it being so
    easy to set breakpoints on serial/parrallel IO events.

    Without knowing more details about what you are trying to accomplish --
    I'd suggest using some form of proven cryptography system as your method
    of implementation.

    Look at http://www.searchlores.org/protec/protec.htm
     . . . and STFW for old fravia.org essays on reversing dongled
    applications.

    > Are there any dongle-based protection schemes that have been cracked, and
    > if so, how? (A pointer to a URL would be appreciated, if you have it.)

    I haven't yet heard of one that _hasn't_ been cracked.
    The best way to learn how to protect your software is to learn how to
    reverse software yourself.