RE: Linksys Pen Test

From: Bridis, Ted (Ted.Bridisat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 11:14:09 PDT

    >>One of my clients uses a Linksys DSL router, and the
    default authentication is admin/admin unless changed manually.<<

    Actually, the default is blank username and "admin" for password.

    http://www.linksys.com/products/userguide.asp

    Also, some of the Linksys routers can be managed remotely over 8080 but the
    default is not to allow this, so you can always try to hit the target's
    static IP (the one in front of the NAT) on 8080 and punch in the default
    password.

    The defaults for the Netgear routers, if I remember correctly, are "admin"
    and "1234," and I caught one listening on Port 43 but didn't check to see if
    it was administrable....