Re: An Amateur Pen-Test

From: max (maxat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 15:04:06 PDT

    Try firewalk (www.packetfactory.net/firewalk/) for firewall and ACL test.
    Also, if you want to delve deeper into the fun of pentesting, try social
    engineering (call them and lie, and try to get passwords to routers, etc),
    and try trashing, if you have access to their premisses.
    Also, compromise a machine, and setup a sniffer on it, this way you might
    catch passwords/usernames, and recommend them to use ssl wrapping for most
    services and ssh as remote access software. It is always a good thing to
    compromise a host and show the customer how much damage a person with that
    level of access can do to their site/bussiness; besides setting up a
    sniffer, this would also involve going through all of the data you have
    access to on the compromised host, trying to find sensetive information
    like their customer information, credit card numbers, etc.
    If they use any sort of web scripting, like perl cgi's, it never hurts to
    go through their code (or brute force the cgi) looking for logical errors
    in it which can lead to a compromise (stuff like unchecked input so you
    can do host.com/cgi-bin/script.pl?../../../etc/passwd or something down
    those lines), but this is more of a code audit then a pen test, and
    requires deep knowledge of language used for cgi's as well as more money
    on customer's part.

     hope this helps,

    max