Re: how IKE works in case of Checkpoint Firewall

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 09:47:17 PDT

    First off, note that Checkpoint's naming of encryption
    mechanisms is confusing.  IKE is not an encryption or
    VPN protocol.  It's a protocol for host authentication,
    negotiation of security parameters for an encrypted
    connection, and key generation and exchange.  What
    Checkpoint really means is "IPsec VPN with dynamic key
    exchange."  End rant.

    IKE consists of two phases.  Phase One includes verification
    of the identities of the local and remote systems (via pre-
    shared secrets or certificates) and negotiation of the security
    parameters for Phase Two.  If Phase Two does >not< need to be
    encrypted, then the Phase One exchange is called "IKE Aggressive
    Mode."  If Phase Two is required to use a secure channel, then
    session keys are generated in Phase One, and Phase One is called
    "IKE Main Mode."  Main Mode is about three times slower than
    Aggressive mode because of the key generation step.  The
    security parameters negotiated for the Phase Two connection
    are the IKE or ISAKMP Security Association.

    One the hosts are authenticated, then Phase Two (also known as
    "IKE Quick Mode") proceeds -- this is the piece that negotiates
    the security parameters for the actual IPsec connection, including
    IIPsec protocols (AH or ESP), lifetime of connection, encryption
    and hash algorithms, and the initial session key for the
    connection.  Assuming that the hosts can agree on a common set
    of security parameters, once Quick Mode is complete, the IPsec
    connection goes live.  This second set of parameters is the IPsec
    Security Association.

    You could >never< tell  that I'm revising my USENIX VPN class!

    Hope that helps -- Tina Bird
    VPN List Moderator