Fwd: Re: spoofing 255.255.255.255 techniques

From: MIKE DONOFRIO (MIKE.DONOFRIOat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 09:33:23 PDT

    Just FYI

       Using ACL's does limit the information you get to the Syslog server compared to what you would get using Conduits.  Cisco was supposed to be working on a fix for it.  On Revisions of code before 5.3.1 you would just get Protocol XX (ie 6,17,1) and no port..  At least after 5.3.1 you get TCP,UDP...  I have contacted Cisco several times on this issue and I get the "Next Release" responce :)  Anyone know if this is fixed in 6.0?

    Regards,
    Mike D'Onofrio

    > Our PIX does not indicate source or destination ports
    > perhaps because the "IP spoof" criteria was already
    > triggered in its logic chain, denying the packet and
    > making a syslog entry.

    It's been my experience that the PIX will not provide port information if
    the packet is blocked by an ACL.  However, it *will* provide port
    information if the packet is blocked because there is no "conduit"
    allowing the traffic.

    I'm not sure if the spoof detection mechanism supercedes this.

    Hope this helps.

    -Blake

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA) Service
    For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which automatically alerts you to
    the latest security vulnerabilities please see:

    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/