Re: snmp vulnerablities

From: Ron Russell (ronat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 11:14:19 PDT

    But in order to spoof the source IP address an attacker would need to know
    which source IP address would make it through the ACL...  And an attacker
    would also have to determine by an external scan that a particular target is
    susceptible to SNMP attacks BEFORE trying to get through the ACL.

    And you are 100% correct on the SNMP being sent in clear-text.  Anyone have
    any info on how SNMPv2 could provide a more secure SNMP environment?

    And if there is an unauthorized sniffer in your environment then all bets
    are off.

    Ron Russell - MCSE, CCNA, CNE
    480-6-Buddha
    Silicon Buddha LLC
    Enlightened Network Services
    www.siliconbuddha.com
    Offering Free Vulnerability Assessments from the deserts of Phoenix Arizona