Re: Security Audit

From: bacano (bacanoat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 03:54:27 PDT

    hi2all

    From: "Simon Wellborne" <simon.wellborne@initiative-technology.co.nz>

    > We have a company or two providing quotes on a security audit, including
    > penetration tests.

    Get another two quotes from more companies for a start ...

    > I am a little concerned about the amount of hours being quoted for some of
    > these tests.

    How many hours do you think an attacker will spend?
    At the end this is a matter of how much money you want to spend with this
    versus how deep the audit should go ... you must find a balance here.

    > >From peoples experience (and I would like to hear from Professionals who
    > comduct audits) about what timeframes are 'normally' used.
    >
    > Our network is relatively small (20-40 users + servers).

    A professional probably will take 2/3 days plus one for present a report ...
    an attacker that has nothing more usefull to do can have fun for some weeks

    At the end is a matter of how much you can loose versus how much you can
    spend.

    hint = ask for 30% discount against a new audit 6 months from this one ...
    do they want to get an audit or to get a client? =;o)

    [  ]'s bacano

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/