RE: Using Airsnort through vmware on Red Hat 7.1

From: Dom De Vitto (Domat_private)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 14:46:41 PDT

    Hmmm, VMW just plain uses the host NIC.
    The 'bridging' is done by VMW, and just hooks the NIC
    driver and multiplexes it to all the client OSes with matching MACs or with
    the NIC set promiscuous.

    If it's a wireless NIC, I don't see the difference, and I don't
    think the VMW client will either.

    And I thought that "monitor=read-only" was dependant on the device.  Anyone
    know one that can be promiscuous and TX at the same time? (bearing in mind
    it's broadcast technology anyway!)

    Dom