Re: Security Audit

From: R. DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 12:12:05 PDT

    Anyone claiming that their pen test, vuln assessment, or security audit
    consists merely of running nessus and or nmap and producing a reporrt and
    final results is a charleton, and does the security industry a
    dis-service.  Yet, I have seen, in practice, both outside consultants,
    hired guns from the outside and supposedly 'trained' professionls <CISSP!>
    within the corporate sector do merely this and stamp "certified secure"
    across organizations.  A "test, assessment, or audit"  are more akin to
    remodeling, then ne home building and remodeling, having done lots of it
    over time, I can safely state, is -=dirty work=-.  When you rip open a
    wall, one is sometimes amazed, as well as disenheartened at what they find
    behind the sheetrock and plaster.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
            admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                    -- Johnny Hart

    testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!