Re: Security Audit

From: bacano (bacanoat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 12:01:18 PDT

    > Btw, some have been mentioning "a hacker could spend weeks".
    > Well, that's true - if the target is interesting enough.
    > Most "hackers" (scrippies) are just out for the fast kick/breakin to
    > install their ircbot or a ddos-drone - remove that noise first :>

    Since was I that said that, just a little add to say that I was refering to
    a hacker not a kidiot.
    It's the diference between having sex or hacking playboy.com for free
    movies.

    > Other point in here is: The pen-tester has *one* advantage, he can
    > ask the customer for an account on a machine, e.g. on a webserver -
    > just *assume* a CGI is vulnerable (most are anyway :P) and then from the
    > "start" being the UID which runs the webserver try to elevate your
    > priviledges.

    Again ... the same problem :>

    [  ]'s bacano

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/