Re: L0phtcrack

From: Gurney Halleck (gurneyhat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 13:28:47 PDT

    Jim Miller wrote:

    > Last I heard, mostly from this list, L0phtcrack version 2, which was free, was doing the job, but version 3, which costs money, was having problems cracking on time.  Has the situation changed?  Is LC3 now a stable product?  Is it worth the cost of software, the cost of installation and the cost of the learning curve?
    >
    > Any comments would be appreciated.

    I would seriously investigate John the Ripper as an
    alternate/replacement to LC.

    http://www.openwall.com/john/

    It is free/open source and is extremely powerful. It can be built on
    Win32 and Unix platforms and can crack both Windows and Unix passwords.
    Although the learning curve is slightly higher, it is well worth that
    investment.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/