Re: Security Audit

From: R. DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 23:11:03 PDT

    Of course, and Paul's later statements on the issues, he was the
    individual that Ben was quoting, go further.  Paul's assesment is:

    			[SNIP]
    	ben nagy;
    > need to be perfect - one just needs to know quite accurately how
    imperfect
    > they are.

    Paul D. Robertson:
    I'm not sure you can know that accurately when blind.  That's actually
    probably my biggest problem with blind tests- the tester doesn't get to
    see the configuration file that could contain the backdoor from hell.
    I'll give you an example.  Let's say that a company's administrator is
    attending a local university, and to make life easier, allows access to
    the administrative ports of his infrastructure (routers, switches and
    firewalls) from the university's lab so that when his pager goes off, he
    can fix things without missing too much class time.  A blind test won't
    find that.  A configuration check can.

    The full discuassion is quite well done, and a danged good read.  I
    recommend others here look at the firewalls list archives of the past few
    days.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
            admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                    -- Johnny Hart

    testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/