Re: Pen-Testing Lotus Notes/Domino

From: Josh Daymont (joshdat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 14:49:53 PDT

    Johann,

    You may want to contact Application Security Inc.  They have said that
    they plan to start beta-testing a new Lotus Domino Scanning/PenTesting
    application next month.  According to ASI, this will be a full-featured
    tool that will scan for, identify and then perform a detailed inspection
    of a Domino server over any and all ports that are open.  ASI can be
    reached at (212) 490-6022 and or http://www.appsecinc.com/.

    In the meantime theres a couple of things that you can do to test Domino
    servers that operate over the HTTP protocol.  This is by no means a
    complete list and is just intended as a starter:  If the server is
    configured to allow anonymous connections you will be able to point a
    browser at it and be directed towards http://server/homepage.nsf.  If not
    then unpack your favorite brute forcer (e.g. authforce) and cross your
    fingers.

    Once you can view content, try the ?OpenServer command; unless the server
    is wide open then this will probably fail.  If you can successfully
    get at the URL http://server/webadmin.nsf then you have hit jackpot.  In
    general at this point you want to poke around and see what is available,
    especially if you were able to brute force a username/password pair.
    In addition to webadmin.nsf, try to access key databases like names.nsf,
    events4.nsf, log.nsf, and decsadm.nsf.

    Of course there always the possibility that the underlying OS is insecure,
    at which point you can just copy the databases to another server and view
    them their, provided that they are not encrypted.

    -Josh Daymont