RE: WLAN Security FAQ

From: Lodin, Steven {GZ-Q~Mannheim} (STEVEN.LODINat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 23:46:33 PDT

    > Both HP and Dell have announced that their laptop lines will
    > start to carry

    My Toshiba Tecra 8200 has the Orinoco Silver card built-in.

    > 802.11b technology built into them.  With Windows XP adding
    > more native
    > support for 802.11b, it'll be interesting to see how the laptops are
    > configured by default.  Historically, the default would be
    > that the 802.11b
    > is enabled and running.  As part of dealing with all the
    > major security

    I can't comment on the default issue.  The customized NT4 image delivered on my laptop had the WiFi card disabled by default.  Enabling it under NT4 has caused me nothing but problems.  I've ordered another drive so that I can install other OS's for booting into a penetration testing configuration.

    Steve Lodin
    Head of Global IT Security and Risk Management
    Roche Diagnostics GmbH
    (W) +49-621-759-5276
    (M) +49-173-348-4974

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/