Re: Nmap issues...? or router?

From: William McVey (wamat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 17:38:42 PDT

    Ben Tetu-Pappas wrote:
    >This is a known cisco bug. Their documentation on the bug says something
    >like 'port scanning tools can create a situation where the router CPU
    >utilization goes to 100%'. I don't recall if there is an IOS upgrade to fix
    >this, so call Cisco and ask or go look through their online documentation to
    >see if you IOS is possibly affected.

    Please note that I'm replying as a pen-tester who uses nmap and
    not as Cisco spokesman.  I believe the Cisco bug mentioned is
    the one documented in an advisory released this past May titled
    "IOS Reload after Scanning Vulnerability."  The bug affects
    devices running IOS version 12.1(1.3)T through IOS releases
    12.1(2)T and 12.1(3)T.  The complete advisory can be found at
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/ios-tcp-scanner-reload-pub.shtml

    I hope this helps.

     -- William

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/