Re: Lab leads??

From: Don Bailey (baileydlat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 07:42:50 PDT

    Definitely consider VMware for providing multiple target OSes on your
    Intel hardware.  The benefits of running VMware with Linux as the host
    OS include increased stability, and the ability to monitor / log your
    vmnet interfaces and traffic with tcpdump or other *nix sniffer.  This
    goes a long way for after action analysis.

    If you have a multi-cpu server class box (at least a gig of ram and 100
    GB of storage), think about using VMware GSX server.  In an attack lab,
    your hardware will be idle most of the time.  To save on space (we don't
    all have HUGE labs) and the hardware itself, you can run 4 VMs per CPU
    on your server.  Other benefits include remotely starting and stopping
    the VMs through a web interface, and displaying the VMs (if need be) to
    both Linux and Windows workstations.  Previous comments about do-over
    images, (non-persistent drive images VMware calls it, I think) still
    apply.  Works great, and I simply keep backup image tarballs to use when
    I really mess things up.

    Funds might be an issue with a lab this size.  With current hardware
    prices being as low as they are, you could build a dual-Athlon 1.4GHz
    system with 1GB of RAM and a ton of hdd space for around $1K.  Red Hat
    7.1 will be free.  Even with the purchase of VMware GSX server, you'll
    save several thousand dollars by not having to build as many target x86
    boxen.  For more info on VMware and their cool products, visit:
    http://www.vmware.com

    If your Intel hardware isn't beefy enough to run VMware at an acceptable
    speed, consider using Ghost to create images of various Windows
    operating systems and patch levels.  Burn the images to CD and create a
    custom boot floppy that autostarts Ghost and allows you select which
    image to install.  Re-installation time takes about 30 seconds to 2
    minutes.  A veritable time saver once all the initial image-creation
    work is done.  Be careful, the images can be system specific--so to
    maximize your use of the images, keep all your systems exactly the same
    hardware-wise.

    Because Linux and OpenBSD are so quick to install, you can just keep the
    install CDs around and re-install as necessary without too much time or
    effort.  Removable drives can be helpful, but don't go beserk--they get
    disorganized, system specific, and a pain to manage if there are too
    many.

    You'll find more difficulty with your Sparc hardware and Solaris than
    anything else.  Removable drives that you can dd to images and vice
    versa will help here.  Keeping systems with 2.5.1, 2.6, 7 and 8 running
    will be a boon for testing the "backwards compatibility" of new
    exploits.  Exploits for Sparc Solaris != Exploits for x86 Solaris, so an
    intel box or two to toss Sol x86 on is helpful--I have gotten Sol x86 to
    run under VMware, but without a window manager, VERY slow, and I never
    verified how networking was.

    Linux will be the OS you play with most often, so at least one box that
    continually runs this is a good idea.  You can make this a DNS server
    for the other boxen and create fake domains like I have (goodguys.org,
    badguys.org, lamer.edu).  This can also be your tftp, nfs, samba and ftp
    server for your exploits, rootkits, sunfreeware, rpms, and windows
    software--think of it as your "warez" box.  This box should be
    off-limits to attack for productivity reasons.

    And don't forget to put a router or two in the mix.  Cisco 2600s are
    what I have--easily configurable and plenty of ethernet ports.  On the
    subject of wiring etc. try to use hubs instead of switches--this will
    save you some grief for simple sniffing and hijacking, unless you WANT
    to try sniffing or hijacking with switches.  Also keep your media types
    consistent if possible--ALL 10baseT or ALL 100baseT, as some
    auto-sensing hubs will cause you pains with traffic seperation.
    Introduce more complex hardware (network appliances, WAPs, layer-2 /
    layer-3 switches) only as necessary.

    And KVM switches are a good idea.  If you're on the cheap, a Belkin will
    do, but if you want kick-ass, I'd go with a BlackBox ServSwitch 1x8-port
    or 4x16-port.  This will help with space and heat... AND wheeling your
    chair around to each workstation.

    These are just quick hints (hopefully helpful) for attack / network
    simulation lab setup.  I have a ton more info on the lab security and
    user features from my work experience--a bit beyond the standard Matt
    Bishop "air-gap & move-media-as-necessary" model [1] employed by many.
    If there's enough interest, I'll post a generic setup and security guide
    for review and comment--just email me.

    Sincerely,

    Don

    [1]  Speaking of which, the source document for that is or was at:

    http://seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu/papers/bishop,heberlein-1996.pdf

    --
    Don Bailey
    Senior INFOSEC Engineer/Scientist