Re: Lab leads??

From: H D Moore (hdmat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 14:26:24 PDT

    On Tuesday 16 October 2001 10:02 pm, franklin_tech_bulletinsat_private wrote:
    > Hello,

    [ snip ]
    > One idea I had is to create images of servers known to have holes,
    > demonstrate the exploit, patch the hole, show it is fixed and then
    > reimage the disk with the old hole. The imaging trick should work with
    > different OS's as well. What do you think?

    My company uses stacks of nice dual-proc rackmount machines each running
    linux with 5 VMWare images. Managing the system is trivial via Xvnc and
    SSH tunnels, images are stored locally in compressed format and on CD. For
    the other 10% of targets that need special hardware (solaris sparc, hpux,
    etc) we just make a backup image of their drives and restore as needed.

    --
    H D Moore
    http://www.digitaldefense.net - work

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/