RE: LDAP + Active Directory

From: SULLIVAN, AARON R (PB) (as7274at_private)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 15:11:14 PST

    While this thread is a bit old, I'll throw in a shameless plug for my
    current article series on Sfocus (An Audit of Active Directory Security)...
    you should be able to find it in the library.  There are a number of things
    that you can do to gather information on a null session to the directory.
    While I'm sure that there's much more than can be done than what I have
    done, I can throw a few ideas out here.  I also have a recommendation that
    you check out Nomad Mobile Research Center's site (www.nmrc.com I think) and
    read up on how Pandora does some of what it does and why the vulnerabilities
    that pandora exploits exist.  Much of it is based more on LDAP/DAP than AD
    in and of itself.  On to the ideas...

    One thing you can do to enumerate the existence of certain user accounts is
    to attempt to find objects in the tree matching that user name.

    For instance... If I attempt to declare an object in the directory as a base
    that does exist (a user, for instance), I get this:

    user
    -----------
    Expanding base 'CN=joebob2,CN=Users,DC=dgs,DC=com'...
    Result <0>: (null)
    Matched DNs:
    Getting 0 entries:

    If I attempt to declare an object in the directory as a base that does not
    exist (also a user in this case), I get this:

    no user
    -----------
    Expanding base 'CN=joebob19,CN=Users,DC=dgs,DC=com'...
    Error: Search: No Such Object. <32>
    Result <32>: 0000208D: NameErr: DSID-031001C9, problem 2001 (NO_OBJECT),
    data 0, best match of:
    	'CN=Users,DC=dgs,DC=com'

    Matched DNs: CN=Users,DC=dgs,DC=com
    Getting 0 entries:

    This was all done under an anonymous attachment... Your searching
    priveledges go WAY up as an authenticated user... You can pretty much at
    least LOOK anywhere you want (by default)... Bridge servers, other domains,
    lots of configuration stuff, the whole shebang.

    It is important to note that turning on event logging for events like this
    (especially if they are in anonymous connections) in most cases will cause
    your log files to explode... As these are treated as simple access requests
    to the directory.  As you get to thinking about this, I think you'll find
    that security in AD (or any LDAP/DAP based server for that matter) can get
    to be a real hairball... Though there are quite a few tools that one can
    automate the process with to some extent... but a little slow hand tweaking
    will be required as well.

    Aaron