How to sniff packets from afar?

From: Shawn Duffy (sduffyat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 18:14:48 PST

    I have a customer that has an EAL-4 Firewall with strong CGI scripting
    protection on it and I was asked to look at a pen-test for him.
    He currently has some of his own people periodically try to break-in to
    keep it current with his changing environment.
    I was wondering if any knows of a way to sniff packets from either his
    VPN tunnel connections or traffic through his firewall when you cannot
    connect directly in between his ISP and router.

    I was told it is possible, but I don't see how.  Also, would anyone know
    how to tap a T1 line from a dmark without disrupting service and without
    knowing the parameters?

    --
    Shawn.