RE: opinions on Vigliante's SecureScanNX for attack/pen work?

From: Sacha Faust (sachaat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 10:38:58 PST

    I had to review Vigilante SecurescanNX recently for our Information Security
    practice.
    The product is very good and allows consulting firms (work for one of the
    big 5) to more flexible then before.
    Clients don't want to pay top $ for on site staff and we had to look at
    different distributed solutions. I took a look at Distributed Cybercop but I
    quickly stop. It is a  good product but to intrusive and not suited at all
    for the type of work we were looking into (and the sale service we received
    was horrible I might add). Distributed Cybercop is very intrusive and is
    more suited for big corporation that already have a McAffee antivirus
    management with ePolicy Server.

    On the other hand, SecureScanNX is very flexible and allows to manage agents
    remotly without changing to much on the client infrastructure. Since the
    agent is issuing a connection to the management console, it can very easily
    installed in a remote network and consultants can management the agent
    remotly. This allow us to do the job remotly without changeing firewall
    config to allow inbound traffic. Distributed cybercop doesn't allow people
    to do this.This saves a lot of the "on site" charges to the client and it
    allow us to the automated security check phases of our service very quickly.
    The technical report generated looks a lot like the Nessus report but some
    added features and content. There is also a lot of different report format
    suited for other departments.

    It's a good product.