Oracle 8.0.6

From: Andy Rees (cs61arat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 08:29:05 PST

    Dear All,

    I was wondering if anybody has any ideas about this
    one.

    I am undertaking a security audit and have managed to
    get the Oracle SYSTEM account password for an Oracle
    8.0.6 server running on Solaris 2.7. This has allowed
    me to login to the server via SQLPLUS. The server in
    question has 'utl_file_dir = *' set in the initSID.ora
    file. (It is only a test server ....).

    Whilst I can write Oracle scripts that allow me to
    read and write system files (solaris file permissions
    allowing) but I cannot find a way of compromising the
    actual host OS from this position, I can read the
    /etc/passwd file but I cannot write to it and I cannot
    even read the /etc/shadow (as you would expect)

    Any ideas any of you guys have would be most
    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Andrew