Re: testing for IP address space leakage in NAT systems

From: Chris Keladis (Chris.Keladisat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 15:40:38 PST

    Hi Bob,

    Alot of times misconfigured web servers return a "Content-Location" header
    which displays an internal IP..

    Another good way is using things like epmapper, or BindViews rpctools, or
    AtStake's dcetest to query a (Win32) DCE epmapper.

    Sometimes, you find things when looking through the HTML code, comments,
    maybe even some code to speak to any back-end servers.

    Then there is trying to talk SNMP to the NAT device, which may even return
    the exact mappings if your lucky! :)

    Other techniques may involve firewalking depending on how the victim border
    routers/firewalls are configured.

    And something that just popped into my head is getting a HTTP server to
    return an error. Alot of times the errors are overly verbose, giving up an IP.

    HTH,

    Chris.

    At 12:02 PM 21/01/2002 -0500, R P G wrote:

    >I was wondering if anyone knows of a method to test a NAT system for
    >address space leakage.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/