Re: Scanners and unpublished vulnerabilities - Full Disclosure

From: Drew (simonisat_private)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 12:42:00 PDT

    Alfred Huger wrote:

    > Heya all,
    >
    > Most of you who are long time users of this list know I tend to avoid
    > conversations on-list about full-disclosure. I'm of the opinion it's a
    > religious discussion with little or no merit for debate given that people
    > are unlikely to move from their current position.
    >
    > Having said this every now and then something does occur within our
    > industry to spur discussion. In this case I came across something which
    > directly impacts the Pen-Testing arena and I would like to throw it out
    > for open discussion. The event in question is a new Vendor Notification
    > Alert Scheme the folks over at NGSSoftware announced yesterday. The
    > announcement can (and should be) read at:
    >
    > http://www.nextgenss.com/news/vna.html

    Seems to me like a thinly vieled marketing announcment.  Worked, too.

    I don't notice anything _too_ radically seperated from well known
    vulnerability disclosure methods, with the singular exception that
    they do not make accomodations for a responsive vendor who has not
    yet released a patch, which is on contrast to the RFPolicy, a well
    known disclosure roadmap, and the referenced Christey-Wysopal policy.

    I read it as "Buy our scanner and you'll have access to vulnerabilities
    others don't yet have".

    -Ds

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/