RE: Covert Channels

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 11:41:25 PDT

    On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Ofir Arkin wrote:

    > There are protocols which you CAN perfectly understand and distinguish
    > between legit and not legit traffic.

    No, because, as I stated, this is not an either-or distinction. Simply
    put, the presence or abstence of a legitimate traffic, or a specific
    nature (sequence, target, type) of legitimate traffic can establish a
    covert channel. ICMP ping with no payload, normalized options, etc, can
    considered be a legitimate traffic, assuming your policy allows pings. Yet
    the fact the host is pinged three times, as opposed to two, may establish
    a covert information flow (practical for some purposes, not practical for
    others).

    --
     Michal Zalewski * [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx]