Re: Covert Channels

From: Dragos Ruiu (drat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 22:17:21 PDT

    On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:41:25 -0400 (EDT)
    Michal Zalewski <lcamtufat_private> wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Ofir Arkin wrote:
    >
    > > There are protocols which you CAN perfectly understand and distinguish
    > > between legit and not legit traffic.
    >
    > No, because, as I stated, this is not an either-or distinction. Simply
    > put, the presence or abstence of a legitimate traffic, or a specific
    > nature (sequence, target, type) of legitimate traffic can establish a
    > covert channel. ICMP ping with no payload, normalized options, etc, can
    > considered be a legitimate traffic, assuming your policy allows pings. Yet
    > the fact the host is pinged three times, as opposed to two, may establish
    > a covert information flow (practical for some purposes, not practical for
    > others).

    To reinforce Michal's statement and to further contradict Ofir and all the
    would be covert channel filter advocates:

    You will _never_ be able to screen all covert channels.  You can
    modulate information (albeit slowly) for instance by _not_ pinging
    in a predetermined fashion.

    I am reminded of the old "ladies dress code" where spies modulated/encoded/signalled
    information by having lady messengers wear certain colors/styles of outfits. Uhm you
    should then force everyone (especially pretty ladies :-) go nude to avoid this
    possibility... :-P (On second thought this might not be so good it would mean
    ugly old fat guys would have to go nude too :-)

    Same thing applies to packets. The only way to block a potential covert
    channel is to disable the communications link altogether.

    Blocking covert channels may be futile, but detection is another matter :-).
    Subverting the covert channel to disinform is left as an excercise for the
    reader.

    --
    --dr                  pgpkey: http://dragos.com/dr-dursec.asc
            0 = 1 , for large values of zero and small values of one.