RE: Covert Channels

From: Omar Herrera (oherreraat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 15:20:10 PDT

    I do not think that the concept of covert channel has to be related with
    Trusted Systems, there are a lot of examples where there is a covert
    channel and no trusted system in place (I think this is true for most of
    the cases since trusted system usage and deployment is not "extensive").

    A few definitions of covert channel I found:

    "covert channel: 1. A transmission channel that may be used to transfer
    data in a manner that violates security policy. [2382-pt.8] 2. [An]
    unintended and/or unauthorized communications path that can be used to
    transfer information in a manner that violates an information system
    (IS) security policy. [INFOSEC-99]"
    (http://www.atis.org/tg2k/_covert_channel.html)

    "Covert Channel
    - A communication channel that allows a process to transfer information
    in a manner that violates the system's security policy. See also: Covert
    Storage Channel, Covert Timing Channel."
    (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/Orange-Linux/refs/Orange/
    Orange0-5.html)

    "A covert channel means a communication channel that allows an
    information flow contrary to the security requirements. There is a
    distinction between time and storage channels.
    A time channel is a communication path utilizing the time behavior of
    the system for the system for the transmission of information. A storage
    channel utilizes the (finite) resources of a computer."
    (http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/gdpa/methods/m-acc.htm)

    So in essence a covert channel is an unintended and/or unauthorized
    communication path to transfer information as I see it, whether there is
    a trusted system in place or not.

    The concept of security policy appears in some of the definitions and I
    think it is important to formalize the existence of authorized and
    unauthorized communications.

    Omar Herrera