Re: Firewall Load Testing

From: Kurt Seifried (btat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 10:37:48 PST

    > My apologies if this isn't the right forum for this question;  I'm
    > running into great difficulty finding the right tool for this job short
    > of writing my own.  All of the other lists I've tried have come up
    > blank.
    >
    > Basically, I'm looking to test a firewall's capabilities.  At the very
    > least, I'd like to have endpoint-to-endpoint creation and analyzation of
    > thousands of concurrent, possibly varying in protocol type, connections
    > through the firewall.  At the very most, I'd like something to pen/load
    > test the firewall in order to determine maximum states, connections (vpn
    > and otherwise), etc.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with a good toolkit or collection of *nix utilities
    > that will do what I'm looking for?
    >
    > TIA,
    > J.

    There are hardware/software solutions to generate stupid (yes, that's a
    technical term) amounts of traffic, but they tend to be pricey (but OTOH
    they make for nice re-creatable tests). For 10/100 base interface firewalls
    however a few unix systems on either end doing things like synfloods or
    running Dan Kaminsky's new tools to scan networks (and create enormous
    numbers of SYN packets) are freely available. Things like nmap on high
    settings or several dozen (hundred) concurrent copies of Nessus going can
    also generate significant loads. You can use tcpreplay to take captured
    tcpdump streams and replay them, this can also be used to create large
    amounts of arbitrarily wierd and hostile network traffic. In the OpenBSD
    (and most BSD systems) ports tree, net and security directories there are
    tons of tools to create these conditions.

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    http://seifried.org/security/

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/