Re: Application-based fingerprinting ?

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino (jfernandezat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 03:10:46 PST

    Anders Thulin wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    >   Fingerprinting a TCP stack seems a fairly well understood technique by
    > now, and there are several tools, more or less developed, for
    > the task: nmap, ring, ICMP-based techniques, etc.
    >
    >   A recent glance over the output from a dozen different finger
    > servers suggests that fingerprinting might be done fairly well on
    > application level, too, although possibly not always as exactly as
    > for TCP/IP-based techniques: applications are easier to move around
    > than TCP stacks are.
    >
    >   Have there been any attempts to explore this area further?
    > I've googled around, but not found anything obvious, except
    > for observations of some fingerprints, such as responses to
    > DNS SERVER_STATUS_REQUEST (a few respond with something else
    > than 'not implemented'), and so on.

    	There's also the issue of knowing "what's listening in an open port".
    Sample: web servers in ports 41254 or ldap servers on port 46254.
    Amap can do this kind of fingerprinting
    (http://www.thehackerschoice.com/releases.php) and so does Nessus with
    the find_service plugin  #10330
    (http://cvs.nessus.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/nessus-plugins/plugins/find_service/).

    	You might want to take a look at these too.

    	Javi

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/