Re: [Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Renaud Deraison (deraison@private)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 09:15:17 PST

    On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 11:52:33AM -0500, sullo@private wrote:
    > However, I would hate to see any situation where someone creating a private
    > report (i.e., for people inside their company)  would be hesitant to use the
    > exact output from a Nessus report because they have some fear (real or imagined)

    Actually, the current situation is where people should be hesitant :
    there is a grey area. If tomorrow a full Nessus report is published on a
    popular website (or in a book), one plugin author might very well come
    along and ask for a compensation.

    At the same time, if a plugin author is not very happy with the description
    of his plugin and asks me to change it, I _should_ do so (and I will).

    So what I want is to clear up the current grey area by writing a small
    charter regarding the use of the Nessus reports :

    - Hardcopy of the reports are free of use (so that I can not ask Sybex
      to change a screenshot showing a report in a book published in 1999
      mentionning Nessus)

    - Regarding electronic copies and redistribution, the author has the
    right to ask modifications of his text or total removal, and the
    organization/company redistributing the plugin has, say, 30 days, to
    comply. Other than that, the reports are free of use and modifications.

    What do you think ?

    				-- Renaud