Re: [Plugins-writers] On the copyright of the Nessus reports...

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino (jfernandez@private)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 02:00:25 PST

    Renaud Deraison wrote:

    > On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 09:06:45AM +0100, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
    >
    >>Notice that any NASL plugin author which has not transfered copyright
    >>to Reanud could say: this NASL plugin is no longer GPLd, its
    >>closed-source license and you cannot use it. And all Nessus users out
    >>there would be copyright violators (unknowingly). The same could
    >>happen if Renaud (let's hope that never happens) says the same for the
    >>full Nessus source at some point.
    >

    > You can not revoke a licence this easily. What the copyright holder can
    > say is that version N+1 will be licenced under something else than the
    > GPL, but that does not make version N illegal.

    AFAIK the copyright holder can, at any time, change the license of any
    of his previous/future works. One of the "rights" as copyright holder
    is to determine what license to place to things, even older versions.
    Now, whether that would hold in court or whether one would be able to
    sue everyone that is using an older (under a different license)
    program remains to be seen.

    But then again, I'm not a copyright lawyer, that's just what I infer
    from reading copyright laws (including Spanish).

    Friendly

    Javi