FC: Senators condemn free market, applaud FTC report on violence

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 05:09:31 PDT

    To view the press release and report:
    http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/04/youthviol.htm
    -Declan

    ******

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                      Contact: Pia Pialorsi
    202-224-2670/McCain
    Tuesday, April 24, 2001                                           Andy
    Davis 202-224-6654/Hollings
              Erik Hotmire 202-224-0327/Brownback
               Patricia Murphy 202-224-0082/Cleland

    McCain, Hollings, Brownback, Cleland Issue Statement on FTC Report

    Washington, DC  Senators John McCain (R-AZ), Fritz Hollings (D-SC), Sam
    Brownback (R-KS), and Max Cleland (D-GA) today made the following statement
    on the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) report released today on marketing
    violence to children:

    "We'd like to thank the Federal Trade Commission for its continued efforts
    to monitor the marketing of inappropriate material to minors.  We are
    pleased that the movie and video game industries appear to be making
    efforts to improve their marketing practices, but as the FTC report points
    out, they could do more.  We hope the more comprehensive report the FTC
    will prepare for release this fall will show improvement.

    "Certainly the industry with the most room for improvement is the music
    recording industry.  The FTC report suggests that it has done almost
    nothing to stop or reduce the marketing of inappropriate material to minors
    and has reneged on the announcement it made last fall not to advertise
    explicit-content labeled recordings in publications, Web sites, and other
    commercial outlets whose primary market demographic was aged 16 or
    younger.  If anyone believes that our concerns and the concerns
    of  American parents can be eliminated simply with opportunistic pledges,
    they are sorely mistaken.  This report demonstrates that while improvements
    have been made in some sectors, the allure of the marketing dollar appears
    to pose a challenge to self-regulation."

    # # #