FC: More on Singapore political website "Sintercom" closing

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 08:08:03 PDT

    ********

    From: Randy Kluver <icmrkat_private>
    To: "'declanat_private'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: RE: Singapore political website closes after government demands
    Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:41:13 +0800

    Declan,
    The post is a bit misleading.  Sintercom clearly stated that the reason for
    closing was not because of the registration requirement, as one of the
    stories that is referenced indicates.  They had already done that some time
    back.  Tan Chong Kee, the founder, had recently been named to a new media
    watchdog council which was evidently going to take much more time.  The
    decision to close was agreed to by all eight directors, I am assuming
    because no one had time to run it.

    In addition, the Think Centre and the Sintercom community are two different
    entities.  By putting the think centre article highlighted, it confuses the
    issue. In addition, the Think Centre also closed, at least partially, I
    believe, because of the fact that its founder, James Gomez, moved to Bangkok
    to accept a job there.

    Not that it makes much difference to civic discourse, but the tone of the
    post makes it seem like draconian action on the part of the government,
    which I don't believe is really the case.

    Randy Kluver, Ph.D.
    Information and Communication Management Programme
    National University of Singapore
    AS 3, #04-16
    Singapore 117570
    (65) 559-3141