FC: Transcript of DOD meeting with media over war censorship rules

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 10:23:02 PDT

    [By "censorship," the participants below are talking about restrictions
    placed on media who are in the battlefield and may be required not to
    publish or broadcast certain information. --DBM]

    ---

    http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2001/t09302001_t0928asd.html

    United States Department of Defense
    NEWS TRANSCRIPT
    Friday, Sept. 28, 2001

    ASD PA Meeting with Media Pool Bureau Chiefs
    (Meeting with DoD National Media Pool Bureau Chiefs. Also participating:
    Richard McGraw, principal deputy assistant secretary of Defense for public
    affairs, and Army Col. Lane Van de Steeg, coordinator, DoD National Media
    Pool.)

    [...]

    Q:  Regarding the CINCs, General Franks is not the world's most
    press-friendly guy.  CENTCOM Public Affairs took down their web site last
    week.  Even with the basic housekeeping information.  He won't let his
    people post his testimony on his web site, unlike a lot of other CINCs.
    He won't tell us if he's married, he won't tell us how many kids he's
    got.  We can understand that.  But getting access to his congressional
    testimony and stuff like that, if you could encourage him that that's not
    risking national security.  It would make our job a lot easier.
    Clarke:  I had a conversation with him this morning, I've had conversations
    with him before and will continue to talk with him and the others.
    There is a lot of stuff that comes under the category of easy and obvious,
    and that's all the way on one side of the bright line.  There are some
    things, and you all know what they are, that fall on the other side of the
    bright line that we'll never talk about, we will never discuss under any means.
    What we're trying to do is put as many things as possible on this side of
    the bright line.  It may not be as clear as name, rank and serial number,
    but we're trying to find a way to put as many things over on that side of
    the bright line as possible.  And it is part of my job.  I will continue to
    work with him and the others to try to be as forthcoming as possible.
    Q:  Can you define what -- be as specific as possible, Torie.  What are the
    areas that you will not talk about?  Right now we're in preparation for
    this conflict.  The experience of my reporters is that they're getting
    nothing from the Pentagon.  That everything is on the dark side of that
    bright line.
    Clarke:  I'll tell you what we believe and what we're saying, and I will
    also say fully, we're trying to come up with the new vocabulary and we're
    trying to come up with the new guidelines, if you will.  But anything to do
    with operations, anything that has to do with classified information, we
    are not going to be talking about.  It's just not useful, it's not helpful,
    and it quite honestly can be quite harmful.  And quite honestly, and
    perfectly understandably, 75-80 percent of the questions we get are who,
    when, where, how.  We can't answer those and we won't answer those.
    Quigley:  You might mention the USA Today story as an example of something
    that is not helping other correspondents.
    Clarke:  I got eight, nine phone calls last night from several of your very
    hard working reporters who said my boss is beating up on me, there's this
    USA Today story, and can you help me on this, and I would say no.  And they
    would go well, can you steer me? Are they in the right direction or not the
    right direction?  I said we're not talking about that.
    Talking about a story that talks about operations is talking about
    operations so we're not going to do it.  We spent, we were in the
    secretary's office a half an hour today making sure that everybody is clear
    about this, and making sure our colleagues in the Administration are clear
    about this.
    Q:  Poll people here, that is not what everyone heard off the record or on
    background.
    Clarke:  I'm sure that's true.
    Q:  I'm just saying that what you say people are supposed to say and what
    they actually say on background or off the record is all over the line.
    Clarke:  I know.  There are only so many people that we can really --

    [...]

    Q:  The U.S. military has a long tradition of not having any secret
    casualties.  Can you assure us that if anybody is killed or injured that we
    will hear about it?
    Clarke:  It's one of the things that we have definitely put down on paper
    is try to be as forthcoming as possible about casualties.
    Q:  Try.  Will you tell us when men are lost?  Or women.
    Clarke:  Yes.
    Q:  Promptly and under what circumstances?
    Clarke:  Promptly.  Under what circumstances we're still wrestling
    with.  I'll ask you guys about Special Forces.  I just don't know the
    answer to that.
    Male Voice:  I guess the only thing we might fuzz is the specific location
    of the person when their injury or death occurs.  We may not be clear as to
    the exact location. [...]
    Q:  Would you say what happened?  In other words, you wouldn't say someone
    died of an automobile accident, for example, it would be --
    Male Voice:  Lying, and the answer is unequivocally no.

    [...]

    Q:  Are you going to allow press to go with any of those units?
    Male Voice:  That's the issue we're discussing today.
    Clarke:  That's what we're looking at.
    As we're sitting in this room --
    Q:  I thought that's why we were doing this so that the media could join
    the military on these operations.
    Clarke:  It's true, and in some places we can make it happen and some we
    won't be able to.  It's going to be very difficult, anything with Special
    Forces, to make that happen.
    Q:  Do you really --
    Q:  -- right?
    Clarke:  Certain other ones will be available, but that's what we're
    working hard on as we sit here trying to figure out these aspects of it,
    the people who are putting this together are looking at a wide variety of
    options and plans and contingencies and trying to figure those out.  So
    we're trying to run a couple of tracks at the same time.
    It would be very easy if we knew right now, September 28th, exactly what
    was going to happen and where it was going to happen and with whom, but we
    don't.  So we are trying to put things together.

    [...]

    Q:  Let's say we actually do get some of our people out there.  Two
    issues.  One would be censorship.  What kind of censorship do you think
    you'd be imposing in terms of what we can see, what we can't see, what we
    can report, what we can't report.
    Clarke:  I don't think the choice of the word is correct.  Let me say why.
    I happen to think that everybody in this room understands and supports, and
    I happen to believe every one of your reporters understands and supports
    that you won't be writing about, talking about national security,
    operational matters, any kind of classified.  I have found overwhelmingly
    people act very very responsibly.  And I think it is totally, totally safe
    to say that 99.9 percent of the people who are out there doing their jobs
    are going to do it well and they're going to do it responsibly.  That is
    not a concern.  When we have people who try to point out, and the folks who
    have been on these can weigh in here, they have more experience than I do,
    there will be circumstances in which someone will point out hey, what you
    just saw is classified information, I'd appreciate it if you don't do that,
    and I think most people will respect that.
    Q:  Fine.  I think we're in agreement on that.  But beyond that.
    Clarke:  There is no beyond that.
    Q:  During the Persian Gulf there was something called security
    review.  And it was in the field and then back at the Pentagon.  Are you
    saying that will not happen this time?
    Clarke:  I think we have to come up with a new vocabulary.  In the security
    review, you help me, it seemed to be very sporadic. There didn't seem to be
    a lot of consistency of how it was administered and by whom and those sorts
    of things.
    Again, I just firmly believe that everybody knows the responsibilities,
    everybody knows the principles up front, and I think we can count to a
    great extent that your people will act responsibly.  It's just not a
    concern on my part.
    Q:  I would be very worried there because clearly my definition of national
    security is going to be different from the U.S. Army's definition.  I think
    in peacetime it's usually not a problem.  But when the balloon goes up it
    is very much a problem.  I think there should be an effort made to try to
    refine it a little bit, rather than just saying we're all concerned about
    national security because my experience has been that the military would
    err on the side of extreme non-disclosure and --
    Clarke:  I don't think that's a fair generalization to make.  I just don't.
    Q:  Well, that's been my experience.
    Q:  Torie, whatever the vocabulary, are you saying that neither in the
    field nor at the Pentagon will anybody review news material produced by
    pools before it goes out?
    Clarke:  We probably will review it, but just for these very narrow aspects.
    Q:  But there will be --
    Q:  Where will it be reviewed?
    Q:  On that point, weren't people told at the meeting this week that you
    won't even allow the use of the last names and home towns of service people
    that are being interviewed for stories?
    Clarke:  That gets to the safety of the men and women in uniform.  That
    really does.  Things have changed considerably since the Persian Gulf War
    that makes their safety even more of a challenge.
    Q:  Torie, can you explain to us what the issue is here?  I'm hearing this
    for the first time.
    Male Voice:  I have been told, because I was ignorant in my ways, that
    that's not necessarily true.  However, in Kosovo we had some rules come out
    because of the terrorist threats against family members, that you don't
    talk about the family members, etc., etc.
    As Ms. Clarke has said, this ain't Kosovo.  This is nothing we've dealt
    with before.  There are going to be limits when we get to the pool -- when
    any of you guys get to the scene to cover a story there are going to be
    some limits that we'll say please don't discuss location, because of the
    nature of this organization don't discuss last names.  There are going to
    be other situations where they're not going to care if you say this is Joe
    Schmedlock from lower Podunk.  It's going to be situationally dependent,
    and that is something that you should be briefed on before you cover the
    story so you at least know what the parameters are and will at least know
    going into it what your limits are.
    Q:  Are you saying, for example, a Special Ops person you wouldn't want to
    identify that way, but an F-16 pilot you would?
    Male Voice:  I wouldn't say an F-16 pilot.  However, a crewmember standing
    on the deck of the Enterprise or something, I don't know what the Navy,
    what that naval commander's restrictions are going to be.  But what I'm
    saying is that you guys -- we owe it to you to tell you what they are going
    in.  Whatever that specific situation is.  I cannot stand here and tell you
    blanket what the situations are.
    Male Voice:  You'll find a different preference from each and every service
    member that you interview in the field.  Some will feel comfortable in
    having you use their last names and hometowns, some will not.
    Q:  But it's different if they decide that individually or if you tell them
    they can't do it and that we can't do it.
    Male Voice:  What we're asking you is to factor that into your thinking and
    if you get different reactions in the field it's going to be predicated on
    that person's individual experiences.
    Q:  That's always the case.  I guess the question here is, whether you want
    to use the word or not, Torie, there's a long history of military
    censorship in this country.  We wouldn't expect anything other than that in
    this case.  But what we need to know is going into this thing, are those
    sorts of rules going to be applied on a blanket basis either by a
    particular service or by the military as a whole.
    Clarke:  What do you mean when you say those sorts of rules?
    Q:  No last names.
    Q:  This occurred when the Roosevelt left Norfolk, they said no last names.
    Clarke:  Let me say this.  My strong preference is that if it is not in the
    obvious category -- a Special Forces kind of person, or for instance a
    pilot.  Sometimes they would use their handles rather than their names.  My
    strong preference is to the greatest extent, people can use their names,
    they can use their hometowns, but there are going to be certain cases where
    we won't want to.  We'll try to make that clear.
    But also, and again, I have a lot of faith in the people who work for
    you.  They tend to be very sensitive to these sorts of things.  So when
    they are interviewing a person they tend to be pretty sensitive to that
    individual's concerns.  So I have a lot of faith in the ability of people
    doing your work and people being interviewed to work that out.
    Q:  Torie, outside of the location which is going to be sensitive, the last
    name, what are the other things that the pool report review will involve?
    Clarke:  One of the things we're going to do as people leave is to hand out
    what is the existing, as of September 28th, guidelines -- do's and don'ts
    for the pool.  What I would ask all of you to do is take a hard look at
    them, as we are, and say what's relevant, what's not, what seems
    ridiculous, what seems valuable, and give us your ideas and suggestions on it.
    I've tasked all of us to take a hard look at it and say does this really
    work?  Are there ways we can be more forward leaning than we are?  Are
    there areas in which given the aftershock of September 11th we should be
    tightening up?  And I think there are.  But we're going to be give you what
    the existing set is and say tell us what you think we ought to be
    changing.  I didn't think it would be useful with this large a group to
    have 40-some people start to edit the document.  But take it home, look it
    over, show it to your people and say this is crazy, but this is a cool
    thing.  It would be very helpful.
    Q:  Does that mean that the existing rules and the principles that were
    ironed out ten years ago are up in the air, open for discussion?
    Clarke:  Absolutely everything is open for discussion.  If I haven't made
    that clear, let me say it again.  It is a whole new world, folks, and we
    are trying to figure out the best rules of the road for going forward.  And
    after a lot of work and after looking at this hour after hour, after
    getting your inputs, we may look at them and go that's the way it ought to be.
    We start with the fundamental principle, with the fundamental philosophy
    that we want to get out as much news and as much information as possible in
    as complete and total a fashion as possible, with the security and safety
    concerns built in so everybody understands, starting with that fundamental
    commitment and let's work from there to see what those rules of the road
    should be.
    What I'm saying is anyone who thinks the way the world works prior to
    September 11th is the same today is nuts.  So let's take a hard look at it
    and see if we should change it, or if everyone looks at this and says these
    work pretty well, (inaudible).
    Q:  You deal with a lot of host countries that have no traditional
    (inaudible), tradition of press control.  It was also an issue going into
    the Gulf War with the Saudis.  And the question is to what degree have you
    started a dialogue with any of these countries about providing access
    either on the ground unilaterally or through the military?  Are we going to
    find ourselves in a position where not only can we not report people's
    names, but we can't say what country they're in, we can't say what unit
    they're with because that could be sensitive information, we can't say what
    they do because that too could be operational.  We can say almost nothing
    of what they're up to.  (inaudible) with the countries.  You can say we'd
    like to have somebody in Uzbekistan, but Uzbeks don't want to
    cooperate.  It gives you an out but it doesn't satisfy us and isn't realistic.
    Clarke:  Again, fortunately, I have met with and worked with to a greater
    or lesser extent with a lot of my counterparts over the last few
    months.  We've already tried to make the introductions, but some work with
    you more than others.  We've started around the calls again with some of
    the relevant suspects to say hey, let's keep the lines of communication
    open.  I have said to them that we are working through these issues and
    this is a priority for us, and get their thoughts, but the basic message to
    all of them, which has been well received, is we want to keep the lines of
    communication open, we want to try to find ways to the extent possible we
    can help our media do the job.  And so far the response has been quite
    positive.
    Now there's a real difference between a phone call and making it happen, I
    know that.  But we at least have established the contact, communicated the
    desire, and (inaudible).
    Q:  Let's say that a pool was activated yesterday and there's a pool report
    to be posted on the web today.  Who is going to review it before it's
    posted, and who actually posts this?  Who in DoD either in the field, the
    command out there...
    Clarke:  How it currently works --
    Q:  How many possible layers --
    Q:  In terms of reviewing stories before they're --
    Clarke:  -- a pool got activated yesterday and the following --
    Q:  They want to post a report on the web.  Who reviews it, how many layers
    of review are there, who actually posts it?
    Q:  (inaudible)
    Male Voice:  It's very easy for me to say that I hadn't planned, if I was
    in the pool, of anybody reviewing what you wrote unless it was handed to me
    by one of you and you said I think this paragraph is okay but would you
    please tell me if I've said something wrong.
    Clarke:  And I've got to tell you guys, in my brief what is it five months,
    six months, however long I've been in the job, my brief experience, usually
    what happens is your people come to us and say I've got a question about
    this, help me out here.  Am I delving into something I shouldn't delve
    into?  They've been tremendously responsible thus far, and I know that
    (inaudible), but the general --
    Quigley:  Can I take a whack at that?  Security at the source is going to
    be one of the principal methods we're going to use to ensure that no
    classified information or movements of units or something like that.

    [...]

    Clarke:  And you're trying to make it too black and white.
    Q:  We're trying to get some sense --
    Clarke:  And we're trying to give you some sense, but there's no such thing
    as no appeals, and you all know that, and some of you have called me up in
    the last X months and appealed certain things.  That's a way of life,
    that's what we do and I fully expect that we and I will play that
    role.  There always are.  But what we really want to do is communicate to
    all of our people out there what our guiding principles are, if you will,
    and I have enormous faith that in most times they will work it out.  And
    when they don't, absolutely.
    Q:  Torie, using the example we were talking about before.  You're
    interviewing a sailor on a ship.  He has absolutely no problem with his
    name and hometown being used, in fact he welcomes that.  But you have a
    CINC who tells the handler, the pool handler, I'm fighting a war, I don't
    have time to worry about whether this is on that side of the line or not,
    no last names at all.  And we did have situations like that in the Persian
    Gulf.  The CINCs told the handlers no, err on the side of not letting it out.
    Clarke:  Here's what I can say about that.  It's not the Persian Gulf, it
    is something different.
    Q:  I know.
    Clarke:  I think, I am hopeful, I will be strongly encouraging and
    directing of all to err on the side of being more forthcoming.
    Q:  But on the question of review, what we don't want to have happen is
    some blanket order that no last names in this particular area by order of
    the CINC.

    [...]

    Male Voice:  There's always a way for a reporter to say to me or one of the
    escorts, I need to contact my bureau chief, for us to call back and say,
    and to get that going.  That's not a challenge.  But to have you call with
    a cell phone directly back to somebody other than the bureau chief -- it
    starts to get really screwy.
    As I explained, not screwy, but detailed, let me put it that way.
    As I explained to the deployers, if we call the media pool out and the
    deployers are told to go to Andrews Air Force Base, don't have your wife
    drive you to Andrews Air Force Base.  Get in a taxicab and let them drive
    you.  Because if your wife has driven you to Andrews then there's one extra
    person who now knows that somebody is going out to cover a story on the
    military. Operational security --

    [...]