FC: Confirmed: Calif. gov wannabe Bill Jones is a recidivist spammer

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 09:22:38 PST

    "Calif. governor candidate, DNC chairman turn to political spam"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-03199.html

    *********

    Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:42:10 -0800
    From: Laura Atkins <lauraat_private>
    To: Neil Schwartzman <neilat_private>
    Cc: declanat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Calif. governor candidate, DNC chairman turn to political spam

    On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 10:45:27AM -0500, Neil Schwartzman wrote:

     > Hi Declan,
     >
     > My colleague Laura Atkins (who is the newly appointed President of an
     > influential anti-spam group (shh! That's a scoop!), spoke with Mr.
     > Jones' campaign workers and it has been confirmed that this was
     > indeed not a "joe job" i.e. a forged spam to set him up. She's been
     > copied in on this - perhaps she can confirm or deny, as appropriate.

    Hi, Declan,

    I did get the Bill Jones spam (3 times, actually). I called the Bill
    Jones campaign after receiving the first one and talked to the woman
    who answered the phone. I asked for the person in charge of their
    email campaign and she asked me if I'd gotten the recent email. I said
    yes. She explained that they had gotten a number of phone calls about
    it but that they didn't know who actually sent it. Furthermore, since
    the mail didn't come through their servers (it came through an open
    proxy in Korea) that it was obvious they were not responsible, and
    they would never do anything so unpopular right next to a campaign.

    By this time, my business partner was also on the phone. We run a
    consulting / software business that helps people track email
    (word-to-the-wise.com). At this point believing the woman on the
    phone, we provided her with all the information we had about the spam,
    including the Korean open proxy and the website hosted on terra.es. We
    hang up the phone and send a copy of our analysis by email.

    Meanwhile, I dropped a note to a Wired reporter who had recently
    interviewed Steve about the abuse of Korean relays. She was very
    interested and asked for all the details. I then provided the gist of
    my conversation with the Bill Jones campaign worker. She responded
    that he had spammed before.

    At that point, we started digging a little deeper. And, yes, he
    appears to have spammed around December 11 and around January
    21. Given that we'd been outright lied to by the campaign worker,
    Steve called back. He then spoke to Darren Ng (Press Secretary) who
    admitted to him that they were responsible for the spam. Another
    individual, Bill Carton, has confirmed he talked with the same person
    and got the same admission.

    The interesting bit is that Bill Jones' numbers start to tank in
    December and are still falling. Cause and effect are hard to judge,
    but it would be interesting to see if his numbers were falling before
    the first December spam, or after.

    For the record, I actually received 3 of his spams to two separate
    addresses.

    Laura

    --
    Laura Atkins